At Shout! News we respect your data
1 big thing: How Shout! News treats your data
To best serve you, Shout! News (as in Shout! News Inc., the company that runs www.shout.news) uses some of your data to create a better news platform. We want to be respectful and transparent about how we do that.
Why it matters: We want to build an indispensable platform for people to get smarter, faster on the world, their industry, and their workplace. Knowing certain things about each of you will help us do that better, and support our advertisers who make our services possible. But this doesn't serve as a decree to collect your data without bounds, so we strive to be extremely respectful with what we collect and are constantly pushing ourselves to a higher standard with regards to privacy.
First, how do we get information?
- When you register for newsletters (your email address and topics you're interested in).
- When you contact us or our reporters. However, we do not collect any information about you when you submit a tip through Shout! News email address email@example.com.
- When you complete a survey or enter a contest.
- We also get information from data providers. If you register with Shout! News, we may ask a data provider to tell us more about you. For example, if you also registered on another news site and allowed that site to share your information with data providers and others, the data provider will share those details with us. We also get anonymous data, like our readers' income bracket. Data providers also may give us names and email addresses of new consumers who may be interested in hearing about Shout! News, and we reach out to those consumers to tell them about our services.
So here are some of the key things Shout! News does with your data:
- First and foremost, we use your information to get Shout! News services to you, including to send you newsletters and respond to your inquiries.
- We remove anything that makes information personally identifiable (like your name) to make anonymous information for statistics. Which articles are users visiting most? How do they get to those articles? Do users that come directly to our homepage return the next day?
- We help advertisers understand who views their ads on Shout! News. How many users viewed the ads? What were those users' estimated income ranges (we get these estimates from a vendor)? Did users' engagement with the ads vary based on where the ad was placed on the website, mobile app or in a newsletter?
- We partner with social media platforms to market new Shout! News products to you. For example, we might ask Facebook to monitor our website to identify Facebook users who also read Shout! News. We could then ask Facebook to advertise a new economics newsletter to Facebook users who read an economics article on Shout! News in the last week. When we do this, Facebook does not share your personal information with us.
What we don't do:
- Track your location.
- Track your activity on sites that are not owned by Shout! News.
- Sell personally identifiable information to any third parties.
- Store a long history of your data such as your last 3 jobs or places of residence.
Remember, you have choices.
- You can always opt out of any newsletter or promotional email by clicking "Unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email. We might still send you some important emails, like responding to you by email if you send us a request or comment.
- If you don't want your browser to accept any cookies, you can change your browser settings, BUT the Shout! News services may not function properly. FYI, Shout! News does not respond to any Do Not Track signals that your browser may send.
For our readers outside US:
Contact us: Feel free to contact us with your questions, requests, comments, or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Shout! News, 2055 L Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
Last revised on April 27, 2019
Thank you for visiting shout.news, a media destination for news and information. Shout! News ("Shout!", "we", "us" and "our") operates websites (each a "Site") and services made available through the Sites (collectively, the Site and such services, the "Services"). Certain features of the Services may be subject to additional guidelines, terms, or rules, which will be posted in the Services in connection with such features. All such additional terms, guidelines, and rules are incorporated by reference into this Agreement.
These terms require the use of arbitration to resolve disputes and limit the remedies available to you in the event of a dispute as set forth in section 8.
- Registering Your Account. In order to access certain features of the Services, you may be required to become an Authorized User. An "Authorized User" is a user who has registered an account on the Services ("Account"), or has a valid account on a social networking service ("SNS") through which the user has connected to the Services (each such account, a "SNS Account").
- Access Through a SNS. If you access the Site through an SNS, you may link your Account with SNS Accounts by allowing us to access your SNS Account, as permitted under the applicable terms and conditions that govern your use of each SNS Account. You represent that you are entitled to grant Shout! NewsMedia access to your SNS Account without breach by you of any of the terms and conditions that govern your use of the applicable SNS Account and without obligating us to pay any fees or making Shout! News subject to any usage limitations imposed by such third-party service providers. You have the ability to disable the connection between your Account and your SNS Accounts at any time by [accessing the "Settings" section of the Site]. YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR SNS ACCOUNTS IS GOVERNED SOLELY BY YOUR AGREEMENT(S) WITH SUCH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND WE DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION THAT MAY BE PROVIDED TO US BY SUCH THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS IN VIOLATION OF THE PRIVACY SETTINGS THAT YOU HAVE SET IN SUCH SNS ACCOUNTS.
- Registration Data. In registering an Account on the Site, you agree to (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form (the "Registration Data"); and (b) promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. You represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and not a person barred from using the Site under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction. You are responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You may not share your Account or password with anyone, and you agree to notify Shout! News immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or Shout! News has reasonable grounds to suspect as much, Shout! News has the right to suspend or terminate your Account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Site. You agree not to create an Account on behalf of someone other than yourself or if you have been previously removed by Shout! News.
- Your Account. You have no ownership or other property interest in your Account, and all rights in and to your Account are and will forever be owned by and inure to the benefit of Shout! News.
- Access to the Site
- License. Shout! News grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to access and use the Site solely for your own personal, noncommercial use. You acknowledge and agree that Shout! News will have no obligation to provide you with any support or maintenance in connection with the Site.
- Certain Restrictions. The rights granted to you in this Agreement are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you will not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Site or any content displayed on the Site; (b) you will not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Site; (c) you will not access the Site in order to build a similar or competitive website, product, or service; and (d) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Site may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means. Unless otherwise indicated, any future release, update, or addition to the Site's functionality will be subject to these Terms. All copyright and other proprietary notices on the Site (or on any content displayed on the Site) must be retained on all copies thereof.
- Modification. Shout! News reserves the right, at any time, to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Services (in whole or in part) with or without notice. You agree that Shout! News will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuation of the Site or any part thereof.
- Ownership. All IP rights, including copyrights, patents, trade marks, and trade secrets, in the Site and its content are owned by Shout! News or Shout! News's suppliers. Neither these Terms (nor your access to the Site) transfers to you or any third party any rights, title or interest in or to such IP rights, except for the limited access rights set forth in Section 2.1. Shout! News and its suppliers reserve all rights not granted in these Terms.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold Shout! News (and its officers, employees, and agents) harmless, including costs and attorneys' fees, from any claim or demand made by any third party arising out of (a) your use of the Site, (b) your violation of these Terms or (c) your violation of applicable laws or regulations. Shout! News reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify us, and you agree to cooperate with our defense of these claims. You agree not to settle any matter without Shout! News's prior written consent. Shout! News will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding upon becoming aware of it.
- Third-Party Links; Release
- Third-Party Links. The Site may contain links to third-party websites and services and/or display advertisements for third parties (collectively, "Third-Party Links"). Such Third-Party Links are not under our control, and we are not responsible for any Third-Party Links. We provide access to these Third-Party Links only as a convenience to you, and we do not review, approve, endorse, or make any representations with respect to Third-Party Links. You use all Third-Party Links at your own risk and when you click on any of the Third-Party Links, the applicable third party's terms apply, including the third party's privacy and data gathering practices.
- Release. You release and forever discharge the Shout! News (and our officers, employees, agents, successors, and assigns) from, and hereby waive and relinquish, each and every past, present and future dispute, claim, controversy, demand, right, obligation, liability, action and cause of action of every kind and nature (including personal injuries, death, and property damage), that has arisen or arises directly or indirectly out of, or that relates directly or indirectly to, the Site (including any interactions with, or act or omission of, other Site users or any Third-Party Links). IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU HEREBY WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542, WHICH STATES: "A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR."
- DisclaimersTHE SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS-IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, AND SHOUT! NEWS (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, ACCURACY, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE (AND OUR SUPPLIERS) MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS, OR WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL CODE, COMPLETE, LEGAL, OR SAFE. IF APPLICABLE LAW REQUIRES ANY WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF FIRST USE.SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Limitation on LiabilityTO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL SHOUT! NEWS (OR OUR SUPPLIERS) BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, COSTS OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS, OR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OR YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE, EVEN IF SHOUT! NEWS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ACCESS TO, AND USE OF, THE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE OR COMPUTER SYSTEM, OR LOSS OF DATA RESULTING THEREFROM. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, OUR LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THESE TERMS (FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION), WILL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF FIFTY US DOLLARS (U.S. $50). THE EXISTENCE OF MORE THAN ONE CLAIM WILL NOT ENLARGE THIS LIMIT. YOU AGREE THAT OUR SUPPLIERS WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT.SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Term and Termination. Subject to this Section, these Terms will remain in full force and effect while you use the Site. We may suspend or terminate your rights to use the Site (including your Account) at any time for any reason at our sole discretion. Shout! News will not have any liability whatsoever to you for any termination of your rights under these Terms, including for termination of your Account. Even after your rights under these Terms are terminated, the following provisions of these Terms will remain in effect: Sections 2.2-2.4, 3 -8.
- Changes. These Terms are subject to occasional revision, and if we make any substantial changes, we may notify you by sending you an e-mail to the last e-mail address you provided to us (if any), and/or by prominently posting notice of the changes on our Site. In the event that the last e-mail address that you have provided us is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering the notice described above, our dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice of the changes described in the notice. Any changes to these Terms will be effective upon the earlier of thirty (30) calendar days following our dispatch of an e-mail notice to you (if applicable) or thirty (30) calendar days following our posting of notice of the changes on our Site. These changes will be effective immediately for new users of our Site. Continued use of our Site following notice of such changes will indicate your acknowledgement of such changes and agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of such changes.
- Dispute Resolution. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS.
- Any and all controversies, disputes, demands, counts, claims, or causes of action (including the interpretation and scope of this clause, and the arbitrability of the controversy, dispute, demand, count, claim, or cause of action) between you and Shout! News and our employees, agents, successors, or assigns, regarding or relating to the Site or these Terms will exclusively be settled through binding and confidential arbitration.
- Arbitration will be subject to the Federal Arbitration Act and not any state arbitration law. The arbitration will be conducted before one commercial arbitrator with substantial experience in resolving commercial contract disputes from the American Arbitration Association ("AAA"). As modified by these Terms, and unless otherwise agreed upon by the parties in writing, the arbitration will be governed by the AAA's or JAMS's rules for commercial arbitration and, if the arbitrator deems them applicable, the procedures for consumer-related disputes.
- You are thus GIVING UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights EXCEPT for matters that may be taken to small claims court. Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury. You are entitled to a FAIR HEARING, BUT the arbitration procedures are SIMPLER AND MORE LIMITED THAN RULES APPLICABLE IN COURT. Arbitrator decisions are as enforceable as any court order and are subject to VERY LIMITED REVIEW BY A COURT.
- You and we must abide by the following rules: (1) ANY CLAIMS BROUGHT BY YOU OR US MUST BE BROUGHT IN THE PARTIES' INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING; (2) THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE MORE THAN ONE PERSON'S CLAIMS, MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF A REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS PROCEEDING, AND MAY NOT AWARD CLASS-WIDE RELIEF, (3) in the event that you are able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to costs of litigation, we will pay as much of your filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive as compared to the cost of litigation, (4) we also reserve the right in our sole and exclusive discretion to assume responsibility for all of the costs of the arbitration; (5) the arbitrator will honor claims of privilege and privacy recognized at law; (6) the arbitrator's award will be final and may be enforced in any court of competent jurisdiction; (7) the arbitrator may award any individual relief or individual remedies that are permitted by applicable law; and (8) each side pays its own attorneys' fees and expenses unless there is a statutory provision that requires the prevailing party to be paid its fees' and litigation expenses, and then in such instance, the fees and costs awarded will be determined by the applicable law.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, either you or we may bring an individual action in small claims court. Further, claims of infringement or misappropriation of the other party's patent, copyright, trademark, or trade secret will not be subject to this arbitration agreement. Such claims will be exclusively brought in the state or federal courts located in Arlington, Virginia Additionally, notwithstanding this agreement to arbitrate, either party may seek emergency equitable relief before the state or federal courts located in Arlington, Virginia in order to maintain the status quo pending arbitration, and hereby agree to submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Arlington, Virginia for such purpose. A request for interim measures will not be deemed a waiver of the right to arbitrate.
- With the exception of subparts (1) and (2) in Section 8.2(d) above, if any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, or otherwise conflicts with the Agreement, then the balance of this arbitration provision will remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, either subparts (1) and (2) in Section 8.2(d) is found to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, then the entirety of this arbitration provision will be null and void, and neither you nor we will be entitled to arbitration. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, the dispute will be exclusively brought in state or federal court in Arlington, Virginia.
- Notwithstanding any provision in this Agreement to the contrary, if we seek to terminate the Dispute Resolution section as included in these Terms, any such termination will not be effective until 30 days after the version of these Terms not containing the agreement to arbitrate is posted to the Site, and will not be effective as to any claim of which you provided Shout! News with written notice prior to the date of termination.
- For more information on AAA, its Rules and Procedures, and how to file an arbitration claim, you may call AAA at 800-778-7879 or visit the AAA website at http://www.adr.org. For more information on JAMS, it's Rules and Procedures, and how to file an arbitration claim, you may call JAMS at 800-352-5267 or visit the JAMS website at http://www.jamsadr.com.
- Any and all controversies, disputes, demands, counts, claims, or causes of action between you and Shout! News and our employees, agents, successors, or assigns, regarding or relating to these Terms or the Site will exclusively be governed by the internal laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without regard to its choice of law rules and without regard to conflicts of laws principles except that the arbitration provision will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply to these Terms.
- Export. The Site may be subject to U.S. export control laws and may be subject to export or import regulations in other countries. You agree not to export, reexport, or transfer, directly or indirectly, any U.S. technical data acquired from Shout! News, or any products utilizing such data, in violation of U.S. export laws or regulations.
- Disclosures. Shout! News is located at the address in Section 8.8. If you are a California resident, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Product of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210.
- Electronic Communications. The communications between you and Shout! News use electronic means. For contractual purposes, you (a) consent to receive communications from Shout! News in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that Shout! News provides to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications would satisfy if it were be in a hardcopy writing. The foregoing does not affect your non-waivable rights.
- Entire Terms. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us regarding the use of the Site. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms is, for any reason, held to be invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions of these Terms will be unimpaired and the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid and enforceable to the maximum extent permitted by law. Your relationship to Shout! News is that of an independent contractor, and neither party is an agent or partner of the other. These Terms, and your rights and obligations herein, may not be assigned, subcontracted, or otherwise transferred by you without Shout! News's prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void. The terms and conditions set forth in these Terms will be binding upon assignees.
- Copyright/Trademark Information. Copyright © 2019, Shout! News Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks, logos and service marks ("Marks") displayed on the Site are our property or the property of third parties. You may not use these Marks without our prior written consent or the consent of such third party.
- Contact Information: Shout! News, 2055 L Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036 Telephone: 202-37-1437 Email: email@example.com